Thursday, June 9, 2011

Where did you get your values?

So today’s post is about being my son’s mother. As some of you know, I have a blue-haired ten year old boy named Ethan. He’s an amazing kid. He’s bright, communicative, kind, and adventurous. Today when we finished eating, he offered to take my plate to the kitchen, and asked if I wanted a cup of tea. He loves star trek and lego and nerf guns. He loves to skateboard, build things and sing. He’s wonderous. He does his chores without being yelled at (most of the time at least). He is a really special kid. I love him.

I wish I could take the credit, by being an amazing, patient parent. But I can’t. He came pre-wired to be awesome. And he’s been surrounded by a huge team of humans who care about him.

I got married when I was 5 months pregnant, at 19 years old. I was a very young mother and very naive. I tell people the truth: he was planned, yes, but not planned well. If my pre-frontal cortex had been fully developed, I would probably have known that there are reasons to wait until you’re a little older. But I didn’t know, and so I did what I did.

When I was 21 or 22 I separated from my husband. Ethan was 2 when we split up. From the beginning we decided to share our son, as close to 50/50 as we could reasonably do. It has almost always been 4 nights with me, 3 nights with dad.

Ethan’s Dad met a woman he loves, and they moved in together before Ethan was 3. The interesting thing is that the values in the homes were different at moms house and at dad’s house. Different religious beliefs, eating habits, and value systems began to exist between the households.

I think most children naturally adopt the values of their parents without having to evaluate them. Mom and dad are vegetarians, and the young child eats vegetarian. If Mom and Dad go to church every Sunday, and pray before bed, the little ones do it too.

So when Ethan came home with new and different religious beliefs than my own, I needed to figure out how I was going to handle it. He was, with all his four year old innocence and wisdom, trying to tell me why I should believe the same thing as him. It was a strange conversation that he attempted more than once.

I wanted to give him the freedom to believe whatever he wanted, because who is to say that what I believe is the truth? I have beliefs, but I know that my beliefs are based on the experiences I have had. Other people have other experiences, and believe different things. I can’t say that I am any more right than they are. So I wanted my son to decide for himself. When he asked me about my beliefs I was honest. I said “Some people believe that God created the earth, and some people believe that evolution and other things happened.” (This is very simplified because really, I was talking to a 4 year old).

He had some pretty convincing arguments, actually. But I tried my best not to negate his beliefs with my own. I admit there was some part of myself that was threatened by the idea of my child having different beliefs than me, but I figured that was better than forcing him into mine, or alienating him with my desire for him to share my beliefs. So he was given the opportunity to choose which religious beliefs fit his own. He wasn’t just handed down beliefs, he adopted his own.

His dad’s wife is a Vegan, and I eat meat. So Ethan has had the fortune of choosing, and experiencing different styles of eating. He’s a really open minded kid when it comes to food, too. When he was about 4 years old (there was a lot of discovery that year!) I had made him some chicken to eat. He was sitting at the table picking at his lunch, and this conversation followed:

Ethan: Mom, is this a chicken?

Me: ...yes, it’s a chicken.

Ethan: Where are its eyes?

Me: He doesn’t have his eyes anymore.

Ethan: (sounding worried) Where did they go?

Me: (getting squeamish) Umm. The farmer cut his whole head off and his eyes were on his head.

Ethan: Is it dead?

Me: (feeling mortified) Yes.

Ethan: Can I eat something else please?

Me: Yes!

I felt that this was quite the conversation for a 4 year old. I was entirely shocked and mortified and yet curious about his thought process, and somewhere inside of me I was laughing at the whole thing. But, that day, he was a vegetarian. He eats meat now, but often only at mom’s house. And I think its working for him. It will be interesting to see what he will eat when he’s old enough to buy his own groceries.

But I like to think that experiences like this, how he has had more than just one set of values to choose from, has made him who he is. Because we all respected his voice and his ability to choose what works for him, he is who he is. And I am lucky and thankful that he’s had such a rich life of experiences. He is a very lucky boy and I am truly lucky to be his mom.

Have you ever questioned or decided your beliefs, or have you always accepted the values that were handed to you by your parents? Do your values work for you? When did you truly adopt your values? How do you think that would have been different if you had or had not been encouraged to choose?

10 comments:

  1. So where did your values come from? Did you ever choose them, or did you assume the values your parents gave you? Join the conversation in the comments below!

    If you are having trouble leaving a comment, select "anonymous" from the drop down menu and you won't require any special log in information, however if you want to read the follow up responses, be sure to check back again, or click "Subscribe by email" under your comment.

    I'm enjoying the conversation, please keep it coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, as a child, I was driven to follow my parents doctrines and beliefs - staunchly and without question. It wasn't until much later in life, late twenties, that I realized I didn't agree with a good portion of the things that were coming out of my mouth and I had only adopted their beliefs in order to stay safe, follow the status quo and keep the peace - it didn't work by the way so that was a waste of time and energy! Although, I did survive a lot of abuse so maybe it worked at the time. (I'm all healed and happy now!)

    Once I realized that I had merely been parroting my parents beliefs, I was faced with the task of discovery which is now an endless path; a gift. I move forward with an open mind and an open heart, knowing that I have the right and capacity to re-invent myself daily if that is what works. I'm following the beat of my own drummer and, I'll tell you, it's making for an awesome dance through life.
    Also cool: I really, really like me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good questions there.
    If I had followed to a T what my parents beliefs and values are well this is where I would be: I would have a Master, and be married to a wonderful man and thinking of having kids.

    Instead I am a lesbian, don't have master (yet) and kids are in my distant future! I would be a closet lesbian!

    I think that as a child you take on whatever beliefs they teach you and so on, but when you become an adult you have the freedom of choice. I think the parent's views, values and beliefs are more of a "base/a foundation", a base that allows growth and to make them your own. Some values, belifs and views will stay with you while others change because of your own growth. So I definately have my parent's core values but I have made them my own so they fit with who I am.

    Thanks for replying so thoroughly on your other post to my comment :)- food for thoughts- I will probably post a comment in response but today life gets in my way of writing back to you.

    Peace and Smiles!
    B. Skye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sweety pea :).

    I really like this post! And i really relate to it, being a kid who grew up with two very different parents with very different values. And I am honestly SO thankful for these different experiences. I can see the values I've chosen to take from my mom, the ones from my dad, and then there are the ones that just happened naturally, that I didn't really choose. And there are the values that I held for a while, but when I grew up I began to realize my parents were not Gods and I could formulate my own ideas :). But I can really see each of them in me, and I really love that :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gillian: Thanks for commenting! You're awesome. I am glad you came to know yourself better! Way to go. Interesting how it happens, isnt it?

    B.Skye, thanks for commenting! And thanks for the good questions in your last comments. I appreciate them! I enjoy the conversation. :)

    Ailishstarlight! You have grown up well, my friend.<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am almost nothing like my parents. Part of it was a conscious effort to not be like them, and some of it was just from experiences in life.
    I am not with my son's father, either, and I am worried about the way he will handle things as our son gets older. I am not at all christian, but his bio dad is very christian. I want Lucas (my 4-yo) to be able to choose his beliefs as well. I don't want to tell him I'm right, nor do I want to tell him his bio-dad is wrong( as much as I think he is totally wrong).
    Luckily, Lucas lives with me and Chris(From the Bungalow, and Chris believes in the same things I do, pretty much.
    Truth be told, I don't want Lucas to be christian. I believe of all the religions and spiritual beliefs on our planet, christianity today is furthest from the truth, BUT it's not really my place to tell Lucas that. I do want him to know how I feel about it, but I want him to make his own decisions.

    I can only hope that Lucas grows and learns more from me and Chris, but also has respect for whatever his bio-dad tries to teach him. I just wish there was a way to teach him about his bio-dad so he sees him for what he is sooner than later, but I know that's probably not going to happen. It seems like most kids whose parents are separated learn about the absent parent the hard way; by having their hearts broken and hopes crushed. :(

    I admire you and your ex for being able to co-parent well. From the sound of it, Ethan is a good boy, so you guys must be doing something right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi pinwheelsandpoppies! I totally relate to your comment. Really the most important thing you can do for your son is be a warm place where he can land. Accept that life will involve all kinds of hurt, and while we do all we can to protect our kids, they will inevitably experience heartbreak as a part of life. Just love and accept him as completly as you can. Trust that whatever his spiritual beliefs end up being, if you love him, he will be happy. If you accept him and are kind and teach him acceptance, he will be kind. We cant control what happens in our children's lives, but we can influence what they do with those experiences. So love him, and let him explore his world from the saftey of your open arms. He will grow up sturdy and kind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Kell! I know you're right. He's gonna be okay. He's tough and I do love him more than anything. Plus, he's got a good support system to help back me up.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what an insightful boy you have… very impressive. My wife and I are similar as far laying a foundation for beliefs and values, and then letting her decide. I was raised Catholic, my wife was… not. We’re both Christian, so we met in the middle. Same goes for politics or anything else. I don’t want her to have my beliefs, I want her to have her own. I wrote about it a little bit here: http://daddyknowsless.blogspot.com/2011/06/amazing-grace.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Daddy knows Less Thanks for your comment! I just read your post, and it warms my heart. So amazing how the little ones learn and reflect what we give us. An excellent reminder to always show positivity and kindness, because they learn that too. :)

    ReplyDelete