Sunday, May 22, 2011

The strength in sitting alone

I was alone, in a room full of people. My son was at his dads. I was waiting for the hockey game to start at a local pub. I was sitting at the bar, alone and I just started to type. People were sitting nearby and chatting. Earlier that day, I had turned down the offer to watch the game with family to sit at the pub alone.

Whether you are single or coupled, you should try it. Take yourself into an environment where there will be lots of strangers, or nearly no one, and just sit. Be comfortable with yourself. Take in your surroundings. Buy yourself dinner, and unashamedly be in the moment with yourself.

Going out alone is unnerving if you’ve never done it, but it’s worth getting used to. It can be intimidating, so recognize that feeling if you have it, and just be. Be in the moment. You are okay whether you are surrounded by your friends or are alone. Going somewhere alone is an interesting exploration. For me it involves being really honest with myself because sitting alone is a little uncomfortable. I feel a little bit vulnerable, and yet I’m opening myself to the world. We are more visible without our friends to hide behind.

The opportunity to interact with new people is tenfold when you go out on your own. Within half an hour of sitting alone, I was ushered into a crowd of new friends. The conversation started at the bar and then as more and more people joined it, moved to a table. I had a great time and made some new friends.

Going somewhere alone is an opportunity to be socially closed or socially open. I chose to sit at the bar, where interactions with strangers are almost inevitable. What happens when you’re sitting alone depends on where you sit. Sitting at the counter or the bar gives you opportunity to be included in conversations, because most folks at the counter are doing the exact same thing. Sitting in a table by yourself gives you opportunity for solo introspection and people watching.

There is strength in being comfortable in your own skin, being visible to the world and okay with it. There is power in allowing that vulnerability into your life without acting to decrease it or remove it. It is an exercise in being comfortable with yourself and being your own real friend. We wander around seeking input and validation from others all day long. We can read it in facial expressions, social interactions and pauses, but often forget that the most potent validation is self-validation.

Take time to see yourself as a friend. Take time to be honest with yourself about who you are. Take time to appreciate yourself because there is strength in self love. Going somewhere alone is an exercise in self-friendship. It can stretch your comfort zone and open you up to new opportunities and self-reflection.

Many of us are dependent on others for happiness, strength and courage. Let yourself out of those confines and sit by yourself. Get to know yourself and learn to enjoy your own company and you will discover happiness that comes from within. You will find strength in yourself that can’t be given by anyone else.

Give it a try, and let me know how it goes.

15 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful to read about your experience here and I can absolutely concur about the bar vs. table phenomenon. It is certainly infrequent to have someone approach your table and ask you to join them whereas sitting at a bar offers greater social opportunity. I actually had dinner by myself at a bar last night and enjoyed it and, yes, I was asked to join others but declined until after I had eaten. Ahh, autonomy is a beautiful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous! I'll keep my eyes open for networking ideas like that. I don't have a lot of free time outside of my son and work, but it'd be cool to get out there and do what I can. I'll try, and you'll hear about it in a blog for sure. :)

    Well, there are a few ways to follow without using facebook or a blogger account. Up at the top right of this page, there is the "find a way to follow this blog" thing.

    You can click the email picture to have new posts emailed to you. That might be the easiest because then you won't need to create any new accounts. You could follow via RSS (thats the little orange button with the lines) but that involves using Igoogle, I think. Not sure if there are other accounts you can use with it. Try the email! You could also follow on twitter, but if you don't already use twitter, it won't work very well. :) Try the email method. :)

    I really appreciate your comment! Thanks for reading. :)

    Kell - Single lesbian mother

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gillian!

    Thanks for commenting! Autonomy truly is a beautiful thing, isn't it? Today I feel a bit less strong though. Good thing my son is home to keep me company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you I will try the email method.

    What can help you feel stronger in those moments like today? What are some of the things that influence you feeling less strong today? If you don't mind sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you I will try the email method you suggested.

    What is it that brings you down today and what brings you strength in those moments? If you don't mind sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this, Kell! I actually quite enjoy going out alone, and just being alone in general. It used to be really difficult, because I am really self-conscious and insecure, but I somehow got over it. I think it's because it's been many years since I've had what I would call a good friend to go out with. I was kinda forced to do it alone. :)
    As usual, I love your writing! Keep it up and I'll keep reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Anonymous!

    Good question. I had to think about my answer for a bit. That's the best kind of question!!
    Last night I felt less strong because of loneliness. There is so much strength in autonomy, but there are other emotions too.

    I'm an advocate of embracing all emotions, even the less than stellar ones. The only way to move forward from negative emotions (in my opinion at least) is to know those emotions.

    Accept and experience saddness when it comes. Sit with it like you sit with yourself. Feel saddness's edges and its dark corners. Recognize loneliness and say "that feeling is loneliness". Be honest with yourself and feel what you feel. Don't be ashamed to feel whatever you feel.

    Negative emotions won't over take you if you let the voice of the emotion speak, knowing that it is just an emotion that won't last forever.

    Today, I feel positive and much lighter. I think a lot of us are ashamed to feel negative emotions. The search for perfection means too the search for constant happiness. But we don't have to be happy every second of every day. Even the most fortunate of us are going to have days where we feel lonely, or self conscious, or sad, or angry, or jealous,or selfish. We're all going to experience emotions we don't like. And we don't have to hide them from ourselves. It is okay to feel the way we feel. giving my feelings a voice and a space to exist, helps me to move beyond them, into the strength I create here.
    Great question. Thanks for reading. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning pinwheelsandpoppies! THanks for reading and commenting! I understand where you're coming from. It is really nice to feel happy and okay being autonomous. It sometimes takes work, but its a good feeling. I read your blog post this morning too, sounds like you're going through some tough times. I wanted to follow your blog but didn't really see any easy ways to do so. Can you add some 'follow' buttons? (Ask Chris I bet he knows how).

    Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate it. :)

    Kell

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The only way to move forward from negative emotions (in my opinion at least) is to know those emotions."

    "Negative emotions won't over take you if you let the voice of the emotion speak, knowing that it is just an emotion that won't last forever."

    I would like to ask you: what makes an emotion negative? Why do you view and label those emotions as negative?

    In my view, all emotions are positive ones. They might not be all pleasant but they are all positive because they are part of who we are. So I am just questioning you where does the word negative to describe your emotions come from?

    Thank you for taking the time to answer your followers questions, you are a dedicated writer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anonymous! I see what you're saying about negative emotions. I am referring to the unpleasant emotions. :) All emotions are valid and useful but they dont always feel good. Point taken.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a question for you fabulous commenters. What would you like me to write about this week? Is there anything you'd like to see more of?

    Thanks! Input appreciated :D I love that we're having conversations here, this is really what I wanted for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do have a topic in mind where I am curious to hear from people on your blog and from you as it kind of relates to you in some ways.

    My question is this, not so much of a question per se. Single lesbians who want to become a mom but do not have a partner. How to go about it? I am thinking incemination or whatever the term is, but wondering how that would go being single from the start. What is your view on this?

    Also, another topic for one of your blogs could be around gay couple parenting. Gay guys, lesbians, transgenders and bringing up a child. The heterosexual world seem to push the idea that having a father AND a mother present in some forms is VERY important to a healthy development. Perhaps you want to write about that.

    Just some ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally fantastic ideas! I'll put them on the list :D Your answer will come shortly in a blog! :) THANKS!

    Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kell, thanks for sharing this post with me. Getting out and being alone with my thoughts and feeling anonymous and autonomous can be great. I've come up with some great thoughts in those moments. Unfortunately, I don't have/make the time to do that these days with a partner and three kids at home, a full-time job, a house and a yard, etc.

    Part of my wanting/needing to feel connected shows up as feeling tied to my partner. It's nothing she's imposed on me, but more of an invisible tether I impose on myself. Maybe I learned it from a previous relationship (including parental), or maybe it's just part of who I am. I tend to feel an imagined pressure not to exclude anyone. Feels selfish. Ah, that word: selfish. My dad constantly called me selfish as a kid. Great, another realization to give some attention. :)

    What I really appreciate about this post is the idea of being present with yourself. So many people are afraid to just sit with themselves. Seems like a lot of folks either don't like who they are or are afraid of what demons they might uncover and have to deal with.

    Some lyrics that have been resonating with me lately, courtesy of OK Go:
    "I've been waiting for months, waiting for years, waiting for you to change.
    Aw, but there ain't much that's dumber, there ain't much that's dumber
    than pinning your hopes on a change in another.
    And I, yeah, I still need you, but what good's that gonna do?
    Needing is one thing, and getting, getting's another."

    Take care.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete