Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Things that are new, things that I like..

So you have probably noticed already that things look different on the blog. We got a makeover and are moving forward! I used to limit what I wrote about to one subject (LGBTQ issues), and now I want to write about that, and much much more!

I wrote a book, so I am most excited to talk about that. I love everything to do with books. I'm an avid reader, and writer. So I want to talk about that.

I spent some time this year volunteering and working with refugees, teaching English to newcomers from Syria. This has been very powerful for me. Taking care of refugees and people in war torn countries has become really important to me. I care about equality and protection, and I challenge racism. I work to see my own privilege and unconscious bias. I think it is important.

I care about Politics. I am dumbfounded by US politics right now. I am fearful for so many people in the US and around the world under Trump. I can't even list every demographic he has targeted in his words and in his policies.

I love being a mother and a step-mom. I might write about my experience with that now and then.

I care about visibility and rights for folks in the LGBTQ community. I care about visibility in media. I think it's important to create characters that reflect diversity in gender and sexual orientation. I'll probably write about that.

I might try and make you laugh. Or I might post pictures of things I like. My book covers some dark topics (suicide, drug addiction, homelessness) and still reads as uplifting. So I might post some things about that.

I'll probably have a lot of questions for all of you. And I hope you take the time to comment and let me know you are still out there. I feel at this point like I am speaking into the abyss.

So, let's talk. Where are you from? What do you think of the new theme? I'm really glad you're here and I'm thankful that you are still along for this ride. Which of these issues above is most important to you?

If you can't comment here, join us on Facebook, and we can chat over there.

Facebook - KRMunro Writes

0 comments:

Post a Comment